Thursday, March 08, 2007

Whiskeytown :: Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight

Well excuse me if I break my own heart tonight
Some things are born too strong

Have to learn how to fight

The situation keeps me drinking every goddamn day and night

The situation don't seem so right


















Whiskeytown, "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight"

Around February 14th many publications put out lists of break-up songs in an attempt to be a little ironic around the love-y holiday. I don't mind a little irony. Pop Candy, the USA Candy blog helmed by Whitney Mathieson suggested this Whiskeytown song and I was bummed I hadn't already though of it and put it into my little DORK playlist in my iTunes. But now here it is. It's a pretty self-explanatory number, but I love how it has not just the lyrical content, but the feeling of self-destruction that I knew oh so well in my single days when I was hitting the bar five out of seven. I'd also play their song "Empty Baseball Park" if I were feeling this down and out and wanted to keep the bad mood flowing.

More about Whiskeytown :: Full lyrics

No comments: