Friday, March 16, 2007

Afghan Whigs :: Band of Gold

I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
Hoping soon that you'll walk
Back through that door
And love me like you tried before



















Afghan Whigs, "Band of Gold"

The 1970 Freda Payne soul classic was covered by the Whigs on their Uptown Avondale EP on Subpop circa 1992. That was an EP of covers that also included the classic soul tune, "Come See About Me." I love the fuzzy take on this song and Greg Dulli, singer of the Afghan Whigs, knows pain. He brings it. The guy was reportedly way screwed up, seriously manic and a bastard. It pretty much showed in all his old recordings. This one, despite not being penned by him, let's it all flow too, which in Dulli terms also means he's gonna sing heart-achingly off-key. Dulli's current gig heading up the Twilight Singers, still has the soul swagger, less fuzz, more in tune. I like it, not love it. As a side note, I once had a profound and really life-like dream about Greg Dulli that involved brine shrimp.

Full lyrics to this song :: More about Afghan Whigs

No comments: