Monday, January 29, 2007

Caetano Veloso: Cry Me A River

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head
While you never shed a tear

Remember, I remember, all that you said

You told me love was too plebian

Told me you were through with me and...
















Caetano Veloso, "Cry Me A River"

This song was the only hit for both songwriter Arthur Hamilton and the original singer, the wonderful Julie London. It's a goody, even if it does use the word plebian (or maybe because it uses the word plebian?) Lots of people have sung it since: Mari Wilson, Diana Krall, Diana Washington, Ray Charles, Shirley Bassey and, yes, the bearers of torchy goodness, Aerosmith.

This version, by popular Brazillian composer Caetano Veloso, is rich and thick and gorgeous and full of sophisticated contempt! Listen to how he says the word "loathe." Ohhh-wee. This man has recorded 50+ records, did the soundtracks for Almodovar's Talk to Her and the biopic movie Frida. In 2004 he released an all-English CD, his first, called A Foreign Sound, and this track is from that. The CD also contains some other gorgeous covers of old standards. As for this song: Well he's been dumped and now the dumper wants him back. His response? Go cry me a freaking river. Such a succinct sentiment.

The photo, above, is Caetano many years ago. Now he is a silver fox, no less hot, just wiser.

More about Caetano Veloso :: Buy this CD

No comments: